Tuesday, December 3, 2013

That, anyway, is what i have learned




            “Mythology”, what an abstract word. During this class we have covered the board on all that the word Myth entails. After coming to class a few times I quickly fell in love with this word, “Mythology” and all of the crazy, intense stories of Greek gods and beautiful nymphs that come along with it. Mystery, that’s what captured my interest really, it was the mystery of this different world of mythology. However, professor Sexton had other ideas about what my reality would be, because you see, myth just happens to be everywhere! It’s not set apart in this magical separate world that doesn’t exist. It’s there with you in the morning when you’re eating you’re cereal, you stare directly into the eyes of myth when you glance into a mirror, the goddess Demeter whispers in your ear when that first snowflake of the season brushes by your cheek. You can’t escape myth! After receiving this information, a certain realization hit me and is still with me and I hope never leaves me. This epiphany being that even the smallest most seemingly insignificant thing in life has a purpose and a degree of mystery behind its existence.
            Subsequently, because we as humans are mythic creatures and this class was learning about myth and everything surrounding it, I also learned a little about myself. Professor Sexton encouraged all his students early on in this semester, including myself, to spend time reflecting upon yourself. I remember a certain class where Sexton told the class that if I were to participate in self-reflection, my life would be set aflame. I didn’t at first understand what that really meant, set my life aflame from merely thinking? I tried to come up with the best way to really focus in on my thoughts. Surprising enough, I ended up trying yoga for the first time. If you knew me a little more you would understand why even the idea of yoga would just be ridiculous. However, I decided to have an open mind towards yoga and gave it a shot. I absolutely loved it and am currently joining a few of my friends most mornings to start our day with yoga and meditation. I wont go off on a “why yoga’s so good” rant but I do want you to know how much I appreciate all this Mythology class has taught me.
            Myth has taught me so much about the world and myself. I’m exceedingly glad I ended up taking this coarse with Professor Sexton and I promise it wont be a class I simply disregard after all my assignments and responsibilities for the class are done. I will continue to raise the bar for myself, improving myself constantly. Always reaching for higher and better. I will try my best to be on the watch for the myths surrounding me no matter how sneaky or hidden they are. After understanding the importance of stories I don’t plan on passing up the opportunity to hear a new one or to pass up telling one of my own.  That, anyway, is what I have learned. 

No comments:

Post a Comment